One of the Natural/Original reggae artist that ever lived

marley quote

Monday, September 8, 2008

Finally posting and starting my Natural journey



Today is Monday the first "real" day of the week to start being productive in the world. I woke my son up this morning to take him to school. At this time in my life I am looking for a real job to become a more productive citizen and to feel more independent.

Getting to the real point, I am typing at my computer starting my hair journey, and along the way, I will get to know myself better as I go along. Right now, it is 10:44 pm and about 10 minutes ago I put about a Tbsp of "Nourish Spa", from Trader Joes, mixed with my Castor oil/Coconut oil concoction and also "Ultimate Herbal Oil" into my dry hair to pre-poo over night. I've done this before, but not on a consistent basis to see the outcome. But from what I was reading on other Natural sister websites, it works with hair growth and retaining moisture to obtain more length for the hair.

First off I should tell how I became natural and why I made that decision. I first became natural in 2000 when I transitioned to dreadlocks from having a perm in my hair since I was 15 years old. I believe up until I was 23. It was in a time in my life where I've experienced more situations met new people and it was enlightening the knowledge and wisdom that I acquired. It's like when you become older and venture out on your own and you become, eventually, who you really are. I was on that journey and the information about our pasts and our history and the people of influence that made us who we are today, I just became one of those proud people who wasn't afraid to stand up and accept and be happy with where I came from and and who my ancestors are and to just be proud of that. I felt strongly that I didn't need or like "extra", which means additions that other people thing they may need to become who they want to be. I became more happy with my "natural" hair, my "natural" completion, my natural me.

Locs and Natural Hair  on Circle of Moms
Locs and Natural Hair
I wore dreads from the time of 23 years old up until I was 29 years old. It grew to the middle of my back and was getting very heavy. I loved my dreads, because it was easy to maintain. Just to re-twist the hair when needed. I learned how to take care of my hair as I went along in the years. I thought I was doing the best I can, because it grew so long. We learn something new everyday. I cut my dreads off, stayed natural for like a month or two and decided to put a texturizer in my hair. It was going okay for several months. I was washing and conditioning it like every other day. Didn't really now too much about pre-poo, co-wash and deep conditioning and how important incorporating these routines in your hair regimen would be until I decided to put a perm in my hair in January of this year. Two months later, my hair started to break in the back middle of my head. Then it just started to fall out. I told myself I have to cut my hair off and never put anymore chemicals in my hair again, because I didn't need it. My hair was so used to being natural for all those years I had dreadlocks.

I did the BIG CHOP in June of this year. Ever since then, I have been gaining knowledge about maintaining natural African American hair from going on different websites and blogs. My very first informative site that I went to was motowngirl.com. Know that gave me more that enough starter information and inspiration to maintain a healthy head of natural hair. I love it, I love it, I love it. I have now acquired maybe like 1 1/2 inches of new growth from having a "ceaser" cut.

I just recently found out about maintaining the proper moisture/protein balance. It requires eating the proper diet, which is top priority. Try to take a multivitamin daily. Exercising, I recently found out helps as well. I am washing and deep conditioning weekly. Yesterday, I realized that I can twist my hair into little miniature twists, not two strand twist, but just enough to catch to twist the hair. I was real happy, because 2 months ago I was almost completely bald from the BIG CHOP. I will just continue my weekly and daily routine of maintenance and I will continue to see results. I just can't wait for my hair to reach a length when I could put it in puffs and Wash and Go's. I am wanting to stay all natural with the hair products also, because of all the Sulfates, Cones, and other nasty and toxic ingredients that just doesn't help in the long run, but does the opposite. Instead of moisturizing and replenishing the hair and deep within, it steals moisture and has ingredients that prevent the hair from acquiring moisture by blocking the pores in the scalp from receiving it. So when products are put in your hair, the hair doesn't except it. The product will just sit on top of the hair.



natural hair, natural attitude, naturally me, being
yourself, regardless of what you went through

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Help A Child Walk

Pegasustraffic